Nice or nasty
- Practice place value
- Deck of playing cards
How to play:
The nice version
- Remove the tens, jokers, jacks and queens from a set of cards. Use the kings as 0. Shuffle the cards
- Each player write H T U on a paper with space for cards under each letter. The aim is to make the largest 3-digit number.
- Place the shuffled cards face down on the table.
- Player 1 takes the top card and decides whether to place the card in the H, T or U place on his/her paper.
- Player 2 turns over the next card and decides whether to use it as H, T, or U on his/her paper.
- Players take cards in turn until each player has created a 3-digit number.
- The winner of that round is the player with the larger number.
- Play continues for 5 rounds.
The nasty version
As above but every time a player turns over a card they can choose either to play it on their board or on a their partner’s board.
Player 1's paper with HTU
You can play this is a group, rather than in pairs. If played in a group then in the nasty version you can choose to put a card on anyone’s HTU columns.