Salute – addition
- Practice addition and subtraction
- Deck of cards
How to play:
Facilitator: please remove all picture cards from the deck (i.e. jack, queen, king, joker)
- Learners get into groups of three, select the ‘captain’. Captain deals one card to each player, face down.
- When the dealer says “salute”, each player raises the card to his or her forehead.
- The card must face outward but each player may not see their own card.
- The Captain states the total of the cards.
- Each player has to determine the value of the card on his or her forehead by looking at the other person’s card and finding the difference between that and the total.
For a greater challenge, have a bigger group of sailors. Each sailor will then have to add together the numbers of all the other sailors and subtract that from the total to work out their number.