Would you rather?
Learners practice addition and subtraction
Would you rather? Say which option you would choose out of the below questions
Addition and subtraction
- Have 5 sweets and get 2 more OR have 2 sweets and get 4 more?
- Get R2 for one friend and R6 from another friend OR get R3 from one friend and R4 from another friend?
- Have 12 minus 3 sweets OR 10 plus 2 sweets?
- Have 7 packets of chips and get 3 more OR have 5 packets of chips and get 6 more?
- Have 9 minus 4 cakes OR 10 minus 6 cakes?
- Get R4 on Monday and R6 on Tuesday OR get R7 on Monday and R2 on Tuesday?
- Have 3 packets of smarties and get 6 more OR have 5 packets of smarties and get 3 more?
- Have 14 minus 4 sweets OR 9 minus 2 sweets?
- Have 4 chocolates and get 7 more OR have 5 chocolates and get 5 more?
- Have 1 vetkoek and get 3 more OR have 4 vetkoeks and get 4 more?
How to play
- Prepare a list of “Would you rather” questions before you start the game.
- Get all the learners to stand in a line in front of you.
- On each turn, you are going to offer the learners two choices and they will show which choice they make by moving either to your left or your right.
- So, for example, you say “Would you rather have 5 packs of 3 sweets” and here you point to your left-hand side “or 10 packs of 4 sweets” and here you point to your right-hand side.
- Learners who choose 5 + 3 must move to your left. Learners who choose 10 + 4 must move to your right.
- Once you’ve seen where everyone has moved to get the learners back in a line in front of you before you read the next “Would you rather” question.