123 Show! (addition)
Also see http:/mathsclubs.co.za/videos/
How to play
- Learners sit facing each other with their hands behind their backs.
- Together they say ‘1, 2, 3, show’ and as they say ‘show’ they both bring one of their hands to the front and show a certain number of fingers. In the picture the adult is showing 2 and the child 5.
- The first learner to shout out the sum of the two numbers wins. In the picture the sum is 7 because 2 plus 5 is 7.
- Start with each learner showing only one hand (i.e. not more than 5 fingers). Later learners can show fingers on two hands (i.e. numbers are increased to 10).
- With enough practice learners will not need to count and will simply know the addition facts and be able to call out the answer quickly.
To play with the whole class ask two learners to come to the front. The class calls out 1, 2, 3, show! The two learners in front each show a number. The whole class shouts out the sum of the two numbers.