Ten or eighteen
Learners practice formulating addition and subtraction sums from ten and eighteen.
- Practice addition and subtraction
- Board or flipchart
- scrape paper
How to play:
- Write the number 10 on the board or flipchart
- Give learners 5 minutes to come up with at least two ways to make 10 using addition and subtraction.They can come up with more if they wish.
GRADES 2 & 3
- Write the number 18 on the board or flipchart
- Give learners 5 minutes to come up with at least one way to make 18 using addition, subtraction and if possible multiplication.
- They can come up with more if they wish.
- Ask for contributions and write them on the board in a way that emphasises patterns (see example for 16 below), asking learners if they agree with the contribution.
- When you write a contribution on the board, always get them to check their list and tick off if they have the same idea.