Players compete against other pairs of players in the class, using playing cards, to make numbers as close to the stated target as possible.
- Practice place value
- Deck of cards
How to play:
- Remove the jokers, jacks and queens from the pack. Use the kings as zero.
- Shuffle the cards and deal 5 cards to each pair
- The teacher sets a challenge. Each pair chooses the appropriate number of cards from their 5 cards to try and meet the challenge. e.g. if the challenge is “the largest 3-digit number” the pairs will choose 3 out of their 5 cards and line them up to make a 3-digit number.
- The pair who best meets the challenge scores a point.
- The teacher then gives another challenge and the game continues in the same way.
- the largest 3-digit number
- the smallest 4-digit number
- the largest multiple of 3
- the smallest 2-digit even number
- the largest 2-digit odd number
- the number closest to 500
- the even number closest to 800
- the odd number closest to 700
- the largest 3 digit multiple of 5
- three cards with the largest sum
- two cards with the smallest difference
- two 2-digit cards with the greatest sum
- two cards with a product that is greater than 20 but smaller than 40
- etc etc!