Array card layouts 18, 24 & 36
Learners use card array layouts to explore factors. If you wish, you can bring in the correct mathematical terms.
- Use card array layouts to explore factors.
- Pack of cards or counters
- scrap paper
How to play:
- Divide a pack of cards into piles of 18. If you have sufficient counters or bottle tops, you can use those instead.
- Remind learners about the structure of an array: always a rectangle or square, equal items in each row and column
- Learners must build as many different arrays as possible with ALL of their 18 cards
- After building each array, learners must write down the number of rows and columns the array has, and the total number of cards, which should always be 18.
- After all the arrays of 18 have been explored, split the cards into piles of 24 or 36 and repeat.